Comedian Damon Williams: How to Adapt and Adjust to Changing Times (COVID-19)
Damon Williams is an internationally touring comedian who has been seen on Showtime at the Apollo, BET’s Comic View, and The Tom Joyner Sky Show. We chat about the emotional and financial impacts of COVID-19 and Damon’s advice to creatives during this unprecedented time. Participate in Damon’s #steptothemic competition on Instagram
Shereen Kassam aka Funny Brown Girl shares her thoughts from self-quarantine – everything from how she’s surviving without comedy to almost being arrested for stealing.
We talk free resources and opportunities all available on the Facebook group and by subscribing to my email list
Free course on Happiness: The Science of Well-Being
We chat resources if you’re feeling depressed or struggling with what’s going on –
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA only): 1-800-273-8255
- International Suicide Lifeline: org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
- Talkspaceis an online and mobile therapy company based in New York City. Talkspace users have access to licensed therapists through the website or mobile app on iOS and Android.
Donate to my Podcast Fund: www.ko-fi.com/funnybrowngirl
Donate $20 or more, and we can schedule a 30 minute Skype call to chat about your creative journey and challenges
This week’s guest: Damon Williams from Subway shop owner to internationally touring comedian
Who is Damon Williams?
With 25 years in the industry, Damon Williams is a former Subway sandwich shop owner from Chicago, IL who began his comedy career at All Jokes Aside Comedy club. Damon’s previous television appearances include BET’s Comic View dating back to 1994, including his own one-hour special. He’s been featured on BET LIVE, Comedy Central’s Premium Blend, The Tom Joyner Sky Show on TV ONE, and HBO’s P Diddy’s Bad Boys of Comedy.
The Funny Man from Chicago even hosted several episodes of the legendary Showtime
at the Apollo, following seasoned host & TV star Steve Harvey. In 1999 Damon
performed for over 300,000 fans as the opening act for the highly successful Kings of
Comedy Tour, establishing him as one of the elite comics in the nation.
His popularity has provided him the opportunity to work with some of the biggest stars in the business such as Aretha Franklin, Pattie Labelle, Luther Vandross, Ray Charles, Harry Belafonte, Chris Rock, James Brown, Jamie Foxx, Little Richard, and even President Barack Obama – where he served as host for a campaign brunch.
Damon is keeping Chicago on the map as co-owner of Riddle’s Comedy Club where he’s providing a stage for new and veteran comedic talent. Damon previously held the “Funny Chair” seat as co-host on the legendary nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show, and is seen consistently on Chicago’s #1 Day Talk Show, Windy City Live.
Key Questions answered by Damon Williams:
- How he went from entrepreneur to comedian
- How being an entrepreneur helped him as a creative
- Should I be performing live on social media during this lockdown?
- As a creative, what should I be doing during COVID-19 lockdown?
- What’s the best advice Damon has received?
- What is Damon’s definition of success
- Who inspires Damon?
- What is a habit that has helped Damon on his journey
- What does Damon want his journey to be
Damon Williams Discusses:
- Negotiations and contracts
- Creating opportunities for exposure
- Chicago vs LA vs NYC
- His comedy club in the midst of COVID-19
- How Damon is spending his day’s in lockdown
- What made Damon successful
- Advice Damon has for creatives
Key Takeaways from Damon Williams:
- Always negotiate first
- Create your own opportunities to build exposure
- Appreciate the simple things during this time
- Use this time to reset
- Find ways to adapt
- Do what you love and opportunities will find you
Listen on Apple Podcasts, Soundcloud, Stitcher and Google Play
Click here to subscribe via RSS feed (non-iTunes feed): https://funnybrowngirl.libsyn.com/rss
If you’re looking for a community of supportive creative entrepreneurs to elevate your journey to the next level, join me here: https://funnybrowngirl.com/facebook
Subscribe to my newsletter of creative resources, including opportunities and fellowships at https://funnybrowngirl.com/subscribe
Social Media Info
Damon Williams – www.damonwilliamscomedian.com
Shereen Kassam – www.funnybrowngirl.com
Damon Williams – @damonwilliam
Shereen Kassam – @funnybrowngirl
Damon Williams – @damonwilliamscomedy
Shereen Kassam – @funnybrowngirl