In this bonus episode, we continue our conversation with New York Times bestselling author Jasmin Darznik. She shares insights and her thoughts on her bestselling books The Good Daughter and Song of a Captive Bird.
Jasmin Darznik’s debut novel Song of a Captive Bird is a fictional account of Iran’s trailblazing woman poet, Forugh Farrokhzad. It was selected as a New York Times Book Review “Editors’ Choice” as well as one of 2018’s “Best Books” by Vogue, Ms. and Newsweek. Jasmin is also the author of the New York Times bestseller The Good Daughter: A Memoir of My Mother’s Hidden Life. Her books have been published and are forthcoming in seventeen countries and her essays have appeared in numerous periodicals, including the New York Times, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times.
Jasmin was born in Tehran, Iran and came to America when she was five years old. She holds an MFA in fiction from Bennington College and a Ph.D. in English from Princeton University. Now a professor of English and creative writing at California College of the Arts, she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her family and is working on a novel set in 1920s San Francisco.
Key Questions answered by Jasmin Darznik:
- What made Jasmin’s mom share her story?
- Her mom’s reaction to the success of The Good Daughter
- How you grow personally from writing someone else’s story
- How do you know how much freedom you have when telling someone else’s story? Especially in a novel format?
- How do you tell your story and open up? How does writing unlock your potential to share your story?
- Why Jasmin decided on a PhD in English after law school
- How she found an agent who was invested women of color writers
Jasmin Darznik Discusses:
- How do you capture the environment which you are writing about
- How Iranians reacted to her writing
- Dealing with feedback/criticism
- Dealing with imposter syndrome
- Jasmin’s goal in her creative journey
Click here to subscribe via RSS feed (non-iTunes feed): https://funnybrowngirl.libsyn.com/rss
If you’re looking for a community of supportive creatives to elevate your journey to the next level, join me here: https://funnybrowngirl.com/subscribe
Social Media Info
Connect on Instagram:
Jasmin Darznik – @jdarznik
FunnyBrownGirl – @funnybrowngirl
Connect via Email
Jasmin Darznik – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shereen Kassam – email@example.com