10 Jan Episode 16: NYT Bestselling Author Jasmin Darznik: Tell Your Story
Who is Jazmin Darznik?
Jasmin Darznik’s debut novel Song of a Captive Bird is a fictional account of Iran’s trailblazing woman poet, Forugh Farrokhzad. It was selected as a New York Times Book Review “Editors’ Choice” as well as one of 2018’s “Best Books” by Vogue, Ms. and Newsweek. Jasmin is also the author of the New York Times bestseller The Good Daughter: A Memoir of My Mother’s Hidden Life. Her books have been published and are forthcoming in seventeen countries and her essays have appeared in numerous periodicals, including the New York Times, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times.
How Did Jasmine Darznik Become a New York Times Bestselling Author?
Jasmin was born in Tehran, Iran and came to America when she was five years old. She holds an MFA in fiction from Bennington College and a Ph.D. in English from Princeton University. Now a professor of English and creative writing at California College of the Arts, she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her family and is working on a novel set in 1920s San Francisco.
Key Questions answered by Jasmin Darznik:
- The process of writing a memoir
- Overcoming fear to tell your story
- What is an MFA program?
- How Jasmin got started writing
- Dealing with personal challenges
- Advice for creatives
Jasmin Darznik Discusses:
- How her creative journey started
- Growing up in an immigrant family and moving away from traditional careers such as doctor, lawyer, etc.
- Telling your story
- PhD vs MFA
- Leaving her law job to pursue writing
- Entering a writing community
Memorable Quotes by Jazmine Darznick:
- “If you can’t find the book you want to read, you have to write it” – Tony Morrison
- “I had to get out of my own way”
- “Get to work. You have an opportunity that has not existed.”
Click here to subscribe via RSS feed (non-iTunes feed): https://funnybrowngirl.libsyn.com/rss
If you’re looking for a community of supportive creatives to elevate your journey to the next level, join me here: https://funnybrowngirl.com/subscribe
Social Media Info
Connect on Instagram:
Jasmin Darznik – @jdarznik
FunnyBrownGirl – @funnybrowngirl
Connect via Email
Jasmin Darznik – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shereen Kassam – email@example.com